Friday, January 9, 2009

Just Another Day in PDX

For those of you who have never been to Portland and don't know anyone who lives here let me tell you. Portland and the people in it are like a bowl full of chex mix. For the most part it looks pretty normal but every now and then you notice something and think..."What the h3ll is that?!?!" Then you move on and eat it anyway or try to ignore it.
At lunch today I noticed a couple of those pieces/people the made me wonder. Below are the top 3 in reverse order. (Sometimes I like to mix it up a little.)

3.) The Guy from Stomp: Wait. Oh no, he only thought he was from Stomp. This must have been why he was hanging out on the street corner banging the heck out of these 5 & 10 gallon buckets. Maybe he really had something going on because he did start to draw a small crowd. I wonder if he really makes any money doing this.

2.) Carl's Jr worker: I had Subway for lunch. The Mr wanted *blech* Carl's Jr so I grabbed my food and followed him to the CJ. Almost as soon as we walked in the door the guy at the counter looked at me, shook his head and said "No." (I am thinking to myself WHAT?!?!NO!!!) The guy nodded to the door which has a sign taped to it stating "Only paying customers eat in restaurant." -Grrrr! I was with a paying customer. Doesn't that make me one by default??? I told the Mr what was going on and he handled it with his usual grace and charm saying "screw him" and we ate on the side where the guy couldn't see us.

1.) The Screamer: On our walk to lunch we encountered this tortured soul. I watched this girl walking down the road as if she didn't have a care in the world. I turned away for one moment to drop off some mail when BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr Jekyll disappeared and Ms. Hyde came around. This girl went NUTS she was screaming and hollering at the top of her lungs to no apparent person. -I couldn't help it. I stared.- She was totally freaking out continuing the scream-fest as she walked down the street. Now most of you are probably thinking she was schizo. I like to think she has imaginary bluetooth.

Hope everyone has a great weekend :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! The guy from stomp! Lol!

Deborah דְּבוֹרָה said...

imaginary bluetooth! mahahaha!


I can't wait to come visit you guys!

Ann Harrison said...

Ah yes... "Keep Portland Weird". No problems there! :->
And I'm asking around for a great Indian Restaurant for you.

Anonymous said...

Dropping by from sits. Sending some sunshine your way. Hahahahaha! BTW, I added to your list of blog followers.

Something In The Glass said...

My favorite is the (clearly) crazy guy who roams around by PSU...he's about 70 years old, short, plump...and wears a long blond wig ratted out at the top in a bouffant complete with a bonnet - yes, I said bonnet (tied under his chin and EVERYTHING) - with a skirt or dress. He's pretty. I wish I had a picture...

Ann, I made a couple of suggestions for Indian food. (Interesting side note: The actor Gabriel Byrne has been known to frequent India House...). Trust me on them. I won't steer you wrong.

Anonymous said...

all that in one day?!? I think I kinda miss working in old town. :) Maybe I'll have some fun stories to share about craziness in the Hollywood district. But hey, at least all that kept your day interesting, right?