Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Blues




My little Miss B is unhappy. It just really sunk in for her that we are moving to another city, Portland, and state, OR, where we do not know a single person. I found her in her room last night listening to a mournful High School Musical song and crying. (The lyrics above are from the song she was listening to.) As she looked at me with her tear streaked face filled with sorrow, I almost lost it myself. She confided to me of her longing to stay and not leave her friends. The poor little thing. She has guilt over leaving a friend in her grade and keeps telling me that she is abandoning him. I have tried to explain that she can keep in touch with her friends here and she will definitely make more friends in Portland (not "new" -she feels like this means replacement of friends). It is as if my words have fallen upon deaf ears. She is having such a hard time coming to terms with move and I feel like nothing I have said is helping. If anyone has any suggestions or words of support for Miss B please let us know.

I wish I could do something to bring her sunshiny smile back.


7 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Poor little ol' Miss B! I remember moving when I was a kid. Has she seen, Portland, though? What a nice, kid-friendly place! Good luck with the Adjustment Blues.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Oh...I hate to hear that sweet Miss B is upset. We've never had to move so I don't have any words of wisdom. I know she's upset now but am betting that she will be fine once she gets settled in.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my Spot this morning :)

Aww poor little thing! We just moved from Utah to Texas and the thing I kept telling my kids is that even though we're leaving friends, we still have each other and in the end that is the most important thing. I try to remind them that it's ok to be sad to leave friends behind but it's important to look forward to the future and be excited for all the new adventures ahead ;)

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh no. THis is heartbreaking. Again, not to sound pushy or freaky, I live just outside Portland (you can email me directly)so if you have questions about anything, let me know.

morewineplease said...

Oh this is heartbreaking~! But rest assured, she will be fine! My parents moved me when I was 10... I cried a lot.. but did great, it was so good for me!

Thanks for stopping by my blog~

Tara said...

Aww...poor thing. It's hard to think about change, but once you're settled in and she starts school and meets classmates I bet she will adjust just fine!

brotayjax said...

When I was in Brownies as a young girl, I learned a little song that I think most everyone knows. It goes like this:

Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver
and the other's gold.

Miss B is a part of all of us, as are the two of you. Your family has left its mark...and you struck "gold." Now it's time to go exploring for some "silver..."

We love you Miss B...
The Kings